Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Top 5 List - Summer Mode (aka My Favorite Places)

5. Bailey's Island, ME - This is always one of our "must go" stops each year. Back when my grandfather was alive, he would take the entire family (his 3 daughters, their husbands and kids) up to Cook's Lobster House for my mom and aunt's birthday dinner (they were born on the same day, 16 years apart). Before dinner, we would all head to Bailey's Island to walk the rocks and shop at the kitschy Land's End store. My grandfather loved this statue of the lobsterman. This is the one place where I get very emotional thinking about him.



4. Cape Henlopen Beach, DE - We are very lucky to live an hour from the Delaware beaches. Dewey, Rehoboth, Bethany, Fenwick Island, Lewes....all have their own unique characteristics. All are extremely popular. But my favorite is Cape Henlopen. Tucked away from everything else, it is a state park that doesn't host too many from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. I love going early, digging my toes in, and watching the surf.



3. Naples, ME - This town has been our family's summer vacation since before I was born. My grandparents honeymooned there in the 1930s. They continued to bring their children up every August, a tradition that I now share with my own family. It is a place that connects me to my grandmother and grandfather, two people I miss greatly.



2. The National Cathedral - I love cathedrals and old churches, but this one takes the cake. It is in my favorite city, is majestic, and has all sorts of cool nooks and crannies. I was in middle school when I read Margaret Truman's "Murder at the National Cathedral", thus starting my love for the gargoyle-covered edifice. Going to a Christmas Eve service there is on my Bucket List...since my royal wedding didn't happen there. *sigh*



1. Cape Elizabeth, ME - I could sit here for hours, watching the waves crash on the rocks. There are plenty of spaces to sit quietly and think. Not that I have ever been able to do that since I am always with two active kids and a gets-bored-quickly husband. But you know, if I could...





1 comment:

  1. All of them look so beautiful!! It makes me want to sneak in to your bag so I can go on vacation with you, especially to Maine! I have only been once but it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My father went to boarding school in Maine for high school. He took me to show me where he went to school and one night he took me out in the "wilderness" where there were no street lights. He told me to get out of the car and sit on the hood (I was convinced he was going to murder me and bury me in a ditch) and he told me to look up at the sky. I have never seen so many stars or such natural beauty in my life. It was amazing. I tell my husband about it all the time..with the hope that we will vacation to Maine in the next few years. Thank you for sharing these amazing pictures and memories. This entry made me smile.

    ReplyDelete