Monday, February 29, 2016

My Aching Heart

     My chest hurts right now. I just read a devastating article about Joey Feek, the 40-year-old singer who has cervical cancer. She's days away from dying. I'll be honest: I am not all that familiar with her, but I have somewhat followed her story in social media. To read tonight that she said her goodbyes to her family...it broke my heart. I thought my chest would explode when I read that she gave her little girl one last kiss. 


     I cannot even imagine. I can't imagine how hard it is for this woman to say goodbye, knowing she will miss out on that sweet child's life. I have a hard time dropping my kids off at school in the mornings because I worry so much when they are out of my sight. I cannot even imagine saying goodbye forever.
     Cancer scares the crap out of me. It is easily my biggest fear. I worry about being robbed in the middle of the night. I worry about fires. I worry about my kids being bullied. I worry about car accidents. But I am TERRIFIED of cancer. I feel like it is a silent monster that is lurking behind every corner. It's not a matter of "if" we get it, but "when" we get it. It's evil and unrelenting. It doesn't care who you are, how much money you have, or what you need to do tomorrow....if it wants you, it will get you.
     As I sit here tonight thinking about the highs and lows of my day, I realize I need to be happy that I actually HAD another day. Joey Feek is my age. She's not 80. She's 40. She has a little kid. She has a husband. She has parents. Everything I have. 
     But cancer is about to take her away from everyone she loves. And it breaks my heart.





No comments:

Post a Comment