Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Starbucks Trip that Opened My Eyes

     Right now, as I type, I am sitting in our local Starbucks. (You're shocked, I know). I just finished class and still have an hour until I need to pick up the kids. This is my "me" time. I usually grab a non-fat latte and my favorite chocolate flourless cookie. Then I sit....and surreptitiously people-watch.

     Last week I had the pleasure of sitting next to a man I dubbed "Mr. Farter". He was larger, quite sweaty, balding, and made lots of grunting noises as he drank and read the paper. Based on is nickname, I probably don't have to tell you that he would get up every few minutes to "stretch". That's when the smell would envelop all of us in the area. It wasn't pleasant. You can imagine my panic when he stopped me on my way out and asked "what business" I was in. Oh joy.

     Today is a little different. There are still a few characters here, but one in particular has tugged at my heartstrings. He is obviously homeless and looking for a warm space. Someone bought him a coffee and several others have said hello to him as they exited. I guess he's a regular, just one I haven't come across in my visits here. It really is cold out today and I find myself wondering where he will go after Starbucks closes at 10. I hope the staff allows him to stay as long as he wants. As someone who comes here every day, I know that they are good people. I know they'll let him sit and stare off into space for as long as they are open.

     But then what? Where does this guy go at 10pm?

     At 10pm, I plan on being cuddled up on the couch watching my DVR. I'll have already made dinner, given the kids baths, and helped them with their homework. I'll probably be drinking a bottle of red wine and nibbling on Godiva dark chocolate. I'll have on my super-comfy pajamas while I sit in front of the fireplace.

    But where will this guy be?

    It's easy to start taking things for granted. Life has been "tough" for our family recently. I haven't had a paycheck since January 8. The hubby has been carrying the entire household for over a month and that has caused stress on our finances and our relationship. However, I put "tough" in quotes because, in all honesty, life could be so much worse. Our bills got paid, we have a roof over our heads, there's always gas in the cars, we're not starving, and I still have had my daily Starbucks. Could we go out for expensive dinner dates in Philly? No. But, so what? Could I buy that Kate Spade purse I've been salivating over? Nope. But I will be able to at some point. There's a light at the end of our tunnel.

    What happens when there is no light? When the tunnel is seemingly endless?

    I feel somewhat guilty sitting here, texting on my iPhone 6 Plus, typing on a laptop, drinking coffee, and dressed in nice clothes (and jewelry...don't forget the jewelry. Chloe + Isabel. Already had one compliment on my bracelet). There is a man 6 feet away from me who apparently has a lot less than I do. How humbling must it be to have someone buy you a cup of coffee because you can't afford it? Obviously I don't know his circumstances and I am making assumptions, but I think it's safe to say that I am lucky. And yes, I've seen homeless people before. This time it really hit me.

    When I wake up in the morning, I wake up in a bed. In a warm house. With my family next to me (yes, the kids are in bed with us when we wake up). I make breakfast and start my Keurig. I take my kids to school in one of two cars I own.

    And yet I still complain.

    It's time to stop looking at what I don't have and to start focusing on all that I do have. It's time to stop being a spoiled brat and to start sharing with others more. Perhaps my path crossed with this man so I could have that wake-up call. Who cares that I dropped an entire bottle of shampoo on my foot this morning? So what if my husband's incessant talking drives me crazy?

    Those are good problems to have....

 

 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment